Church History

Before we begin the history of Immanuel Lutheran Church, let us look for a moment at the conditions existing in the community at that time. The City of Hutchinson was founded in 1855. The Sioux uprising took place in 1862. It was during that time that the first German settlers began to move into the wooded areas around Cedar and Belle Lakes and into the prairie to the south in what is now known as Acoma Township.

The hardships, the isolation, and the sufferings which the early pioneers endured, including attacks by hostile natives, would cover many pages. Not the least of these hardships was the lack of a church and school.

On December 24, 1864 a group of Lutheran settlers organized themselves into a congregation to be known as “Immanuel German Lutheran Church.” In that first meeting, it was decided to buy 80 acres of land. On November 20, 1865, this land was purchased for $200. A log church and parsonage were built on this property. The log church was used by the congregation as a place of worship for 20 years.

Pastor Braun carried his missionary activities beyond Acoma Township. He held preaching services regularly at Hutchinson, Lynn Township, Cedar Mills Township, Ellsworth Township, and Litchfield, making his rounds by team and buggy, sled, or on horseback.

By 1884 the congregation had out-grown its log church and a new church building was constructed. This building served the congregation well until 1949 when the current church building was constructed.